PDA

View Full Version : F20A engine

johnm
02-24-2004, 09:55 PM
anybody done a F20A swap on yalls accord in here? its a 90 to 93 accord si dohc engine. i wanna c if it just drops in with my stock engine mounts n if can use da same trannny and ecu n all dat shit haha ? thanks

vic92accord
02-25-2004, 09:26 PM
every part from usdm f22 is interchangeable but im not sure bout tha ecu. if ur going for a f20a go for tha dohc one. or even better a f20b 200hp jdm

Asiandude03
03-30-2004, 11:37 AM
I know it will be a direct drop but no you can not use the same ECU as the F22A to a F20a I know you have to use the correct ECU. But everything else like the senors will fit perfectly fine.

Kristyle05
03-30-2004, 06:15 PM
wait so the f20b is a usdm motor too. I thought it could only be jdm. SO the f20 into a 90-93 could be street legal in cali.

Asiandude03
03-31-2004, 01:46 AM
No the F20B or F20a is not USDM only JDM. And can not be Street legal in California.

Kristyle05
03-31-2004, 04:18 PM
thats what i thought

bruce hannah
04-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Everything matches up in a f22a to a f20a swap. You can take one engine out and swap the other one in, without anything extra. The only thing is the wiring to the distributor. With the f22a its a external distributor, and with the f20a its internal, so the wiring is different.

chito31
05-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Everything matches up in a f22a to a f20a swap. You can take one engine out and swap the other one in, without anything extra. The only thing is the wiring to the distributor. With the f22a its a external distributor, and with the f20a its internal, so the wiring is different.

So everything, even the ECU, timing belt, and water pump, match with the F22?? How does the car run, more power?

bruce hannah
05-12-2004, 03:10 PM
Yes it uses the same ecu. No it does not use the same timing belt and water pump, but the water pump and timing belt are part of the engine when you buy it (well atleast it was from where I bought my engine) wouldnt matter anyway because if you are gonna swap out your engine you would never put your old timing belt and water pump on the new one, thats asking for trouble. you are going from sohc to a dohc smaller engine but higher compression, major difference in high end tourqe, and when I mean high end tourqe im talkin like when that baby hits about 3500 rpms that mofo takes off. I put cai and kamakazi header on it to let the engine breath and that allowed me to smoke h23 preludes like they wasnt s$#@. Engine is rated at 155hp at the fly compared to the f22a which is what? 120-125 uh cant remember. Very good engine (would recommend it to anyone) but still wishing I would have saved up for a h22.

chito31
05-13-2004, 06:04 AM
Yes it uses the same ecu. No it does not use the same timing belt and water pump, but the water pump and timing belt are part of the engine when you buy it (well atleast it was from where I bought my engine) wouldnt matter anyway because if you are gonna swap out your engine you would never put your old timing belt and water pump on the new one, thats asking for trouble. you are going from sohc to a dohc smaller engine but higher compression, major difference in high end tourqe, and when I mean high end tourqe im talkin like when that baby hits about 3500 rpms that mofo takes off. I put cai and kamakazi header on it to let the engine breath and that allowed me to smoke h23 preludes like they wasnt s$#@. Engine is rated at 155hp at the fly compared to the f22a which is what? 120-125 uh cant remember. Very good engine (would recommend it to anyone) but still wishing I would have saved up for a h22.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Just in case, where would I be able to get a new timing belt or water pump (of any F20A engine part). This is not a common engine. Also, intake and exhaust headers? Are they compatible with the F22 headers???

bruce hannah
05-13-2004, 12:18 PM
You should be able to get the timing belt and water pump from places like napa or autozone, they might not have it on the shelf but they can order it. Header and intake are the same as a f22a, you can find that stuff in any import magazine or your local import store, if you are still having trouble finding it then go to nopi.com, they have everything. If you end up getting really into hopping this car up, fmax makes a turbo for this engine for about $2799.

dynamic93
08-01-2004, 07:00 PM
so u guys think a f20a engine is a disent engine fo an accor too beat preludes with h23's and or maybe civics. in what car can u find an f20a. what about can it be posible to fit a 90 integra engine in a 93 acord. its a dohc ls. and will the f20a be good for automatic i would like to beat some of the civic and preludes out her but i got a auto trany

bruce hannah
08-04-2004, 02:47 PM
Well the f20a only has 5 less horsepower then the prelude h23. With some simple mods you should be able to top that, actully I think the prelude actually weighs more. Auto tranny would be fine for the f20a, not my first choice but it works. As far as the ls motor in a accord, you can do anything with the right amount of money, would I suggest it? no! Save your money and stick to h and f series engines for your accord. H and f series are bigger engines and your car needs it because you are pulling a bigger car. If you really want to smoke someone, come up with 2500 bucks and get the f20b swap, that would be pimp shit.

dynamic93
08-06-2004, 02:29 PM
is the f20 legal in cali and what would i need for this swap how mutch shoul i be paying for one of these engines

bruce hannah
08-06-2004, 10:20 PM
It cost about 600-700 bucks for the engine alone. It wont pass smog in cali, no jdm motor will pass smog in cali. If you do decide to get it though im sure there are people that can help you out with that problem on this site. You dont need anything extra, it uses all the same parts as a f22 except for the obvious like the t belt, but usually the place selling you the motor includes that. Also if you have a manual tranny you might wanna swap out the clutch due to saving you time and money down the road (if it is needed soon).

bruce hannah
08-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Oh were you talkin about the f20a or f20b, cause I was talkin about the f20a.

dynamic93
08-06-2004, 11:19 PM
is the f20b bettre than that f20a and can i use the same cv axles and ecu what car has his engine

bruce hannah
08-07-2004, 09:53 AM
The f20b is alot better like uh 45 hp better and is a vtec compared to the non vtec f20a. It comes in the accord euro-r which unfortunately that was never released in the states. It does not use the same ecu, as far as the axels and cv joints, I dont see why those shouldnt work from your old car.

DrMJOsH1984
01-21-2005, 10:01 AM
Is this info the same for an F23A1 SOHC? Or does it only apply to F22's I want to swap in my 01 accord. I've found that an F20 JDM is rated at 200hp just like the h22 but it is cheaper. Would it be better to buy the cheaper engine or to get the one that you can find parts for every where you turn? Is H22 a drop in on my application?

DrMJOsH1984
01-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Ive got an old H23 out of an old lude of mine can i put H23 head on my F23 block what would that do for performance and what is involved?

Asiandude03
01-21-2005, 04:33 PM
What type of H23 Head do you have? Do you have the non- Vtec head or the Vtec? If you already have an H23 motor I would just swap it in your 01 Accord it has more potential than your Stock F23 motor.

The set up I would run would be H23 block with an H22A6 Head with OBD II. Also with H23 tranny. Reason for H23 block has a bigger compression ratio than the H22. Also H22A6 Vtec heads will give you most of the highen horse power and the H23 tranny does not have too short of gears like the H22 So you won't loose that much top end speed.

xfactortype1
01-27-2005, 04:41 AM
hi peoples,
this is my 1st post so please let me ask a few questions. i have a 93 accord ex and am also starting to consider a motor swap. i would like to stick with the f22 or f20 engines since they are easier to get into my car and not as heavy as the h22. plus honestly i want to have something other than the popular h22. im not saying it a bad motor or anything i know its great,but just dont want it. so my question is would my dc sports header for my f22a6 ex bolt up to the f20a dohc without mods. i also have aem cold air intake. i understand the distributor part. so anyother mods to thec car or wiring. thats really it. :hmm:

another question for interest. since im no engine expert.
i understand the f20a dohc is high compression at 9.5 to 1 and the f22a6 is only 8.8 to 1. so what if i rebuilt the f22a6 with 9.5 to 1 pistons and upgraded the valvetrain. what kind of horsepower would be attainable. :cowboy:

i guess thats it for now thanks for you time

Asiandude03
01-27-2005, 10:47 AM
These are all good question! For starters why is everyone going to go with an H22 rather than building up there F22. Reason for that is because you can buy a H22 motor and still have more potential if you spend like couple hurdrend more. You can build up an F22 motor and be pretty close to what the H22 motor can already produce. Also the H22 motor does not weight that much different than the F22 motor reason is because they are the same size motor. Yes the H22 does weight more but you won't feel a difference.

If you have now a F22A6 motor and later on you are thinking about getting F20A. You will not be able to swap headers they are difference. So I would suggest you to leave your car stock until you are ready to swap. Because you are going to be wasting your money on something you can't use later on your swap motor.

Also if you want to bore out your F22A6 motor yes you can do it but you are going to spend alot of money doing it but you are not going to gain that much power. Plus you might run into problems later on when your motor gets older.

The only thing that can really transfer from any motor swap is your cold air intake that you have already.

Later on if you save enough money you might consider the K24 I-Vtec swap. K24 I-Vtec motor is in the newer 4cly accords and the Acura TSX. You can put JDM Integra type R/ USDM RSX type S heads on top of the motor. You can produce more power than what the H22 can push out.

halfros honda
01-27-2005, 11:49 AM
how much potential does the f22a6 have? like what else could be done 2 get the power up besides i/h/e, pulleys, chip, for instance after all these mods are installed what else can be done b/c i haven't found pistons or camshaft for the f22a6

Asiandude03
01-27-2005, 03:18 PM
For Internal parts for F22A6 or F22A4 or F22A1 motors no after market company makes Piston, rods, crank, and Vavles for these engines. You have to get it custom made. Like you have to call up what ever company that you want to make your piston for you. If what I just said isn't clear just hit me back again.

With a total rebuild of a F22A1 or F22A4 or F22A6 motor. Nothing beside piston, crank, rods, vavles, camshaft, pulleys, exhaust, intake, headers, and timing. Your engine is going to be somewhere around 160-200hp. Depending on your compression ratio also what brand parts you are using. So it really depends on your setup of your rebuild.

halfros honda
01-28-2005, 10:17 AM
thanx i'm pretty much goin all good brands or at least i'm plannin on it. prolly like all aem or unorthodox, n accel or better injectors, n msd ignition.

ratismatt
03-21-2005, 11:29 PM
I was wondering what wiring harness I would need to use from 90-93 f22A to a f20a dohc si engine swap would I need to get a ex wiring harness or could I use my lx wiring harness. Also what timing belt is compataible for the f20a dohc engine

b-racer
03-22-2005, 12:37 AM
Keep your f22 wiring harness because it will work fine. The only thing that you are really gonna need to work through, is the internal distributor coil line. Your old f22 has a external coil and the f20 has a internal, so you have to drill through the cap and feed a line. The wiring from a f22 to a f20a is really not that hard. If you actually decide to do the swap let me know and I will open my distributor and show you. I believe that someone asked something about upgrading the f22a, if you are low on money and willing to do the work you can put that h22 head on any f series engine. I just dropped a h22 head on my buddies f20a dohc and I saw posts of a guy who did it with a f23a sohc vtec with a h22 head. Actually when you use a f block and put a h head on it they call it a g engine, so if you put a h22 head on a f23 block they would call it g23
(f,g,h,) get the picture (cute huh). Anyways, I did some research when I was looking at the internals of a f20b and started asking questions if I could do anything with a h22 head like the h23 with a h22 head, because my head was dohc. After talking to the right tech, I found out that all f series and h series are interchangeable. So for all you people with small pockets and alot of time you might want to hit ebay for that h22 head Take a look at this link and you will laugh your ass off.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1069869

ratismatt
03-22-2005, 12:16 PM
thAnk you for the information!

acc90rd
03-22-2005, 04:05 PM
For Internal parts for F22A6 or F22A4 or F22A1 motors no after market company makes Piston, rods, crank, and Vavles for these engines. You have to get it custom made.
<cough>BULLSHIT</cough>

acc90rd
03-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Well the f20a only has 5 less horsepower then the prelude h23. With some simple mods you should be able to top that, actully I think the prelude actually weighs more.
I highly doubt you will beat a h23 prelude if you have a f20a with i/h/e. You guys need to stop looking at hp and look at torque. Torque makes you go, torque wins you races. The h23 is .3 ltrs more then the f20a, f20a has what, 130 or less torque, the h23 has 156. the h23 will own you. And yes, preludes weigh more.

H and f series are bigger engines and your car needs it because you are pulling a bigger car. If you really want to smoke someone, come up with 2500 bucks and get the f20b swap, that would be pimp shit.
Why would a f20b be "pimp shit"? I wanted a f20b, but realized i wouldn't be that much faster. If your car stock except for the f20b lines up with a f22a6 accord that is stock, who will win? You probably will win, by a foot or two. Yes the f20b has hp, but no torque. It has just as much torque as the f22a6 motor, so technically all you want is hp, which won't do you as much good as torque. You basically are contradicting yourself, you say stick with the big motors because they pull a big car, but then you say get a 2.0 ltr motor. And actually are cars are pretty damn light.

ratismatt
03-22-2005, 05:33 PM
b-racer can you send me the pic of the distributer and what you have to do also what timing belt will fit onto the JDM f20A DOHC FROM A USDM MOTOR?

b-racer
03-22-2005, 06:44 PM
I highly doubt you will beat a h23 prelude if you have a f20a with i/h/e. You guys need to stop looking at hp and look at torque. Torque makes you go, torque wins you races. The h23 is .3 ltrs more then the f20a, f20a has what, 130 or less torque, the h23 has 156. the h23 will own you. And yes, preludes weigh more.

Why would a f20b be "pimp shit"? I wanted a f20b, but realized i wouldn't be that much faster. If your car stock except for the f20b lines up with a f22a6 accord that is stock, who will win? You probably will win, by a foot or two. Yes the f20b has hp, but no torque. It has just as much torque as the f22a6 motor, so technically all you want is hp, which won't do you as much good as torque. You basically are contradicting yourself, you say stick with the big motors because they pull a big car, but then you say get a 2.0 ltr motor. And actually are cars are pretty damn light.
Damn son, you got some issues that you need to work out with hp cause yall 2 don't get along. I was meaning bigger engine for bigger car in comparison to the civic and integra. As far as a f20b and f22a going head to head you must have been smoking crack if you think that the f20b is only gonna go maybe a foot ahead in a race. Lmfao. As far as beating a prelude with a h23, I have and I do it all day. I don't just have i,h,e homie. Did you see the comment about him saying he wanted to put a l.s. engine in his car? thats when I said stick to f and h series engines because they were bigger. You need to go back and read the whole fuckin issue because you'r not sounding smart, you'r just being an asshole and trying to show everyone that you know more then someone else.

acc90rd
03-23-2005, 12:06 PM
f20b won't be that much faster. I'll say that. It will beat a f22a motor all day, but it still won't be that much faster. ANd if you beat h23s all say you have a lot done to your car, as you say you do. And no I am not trying to show that I know more then everyone else, but very few people here actually know about cars, at least the technical aspects. And yes, I don't get along with hp, I'd rather have torque. I am still trying to figure out why everyone is in love with hp.

Dagrkaccord
12-29-2005, 11:12 PM
I have a f20 in my 90 accord. the only thing you have to do is mess with the distributer wirring if u have a 92-93 because the f20 has a internal coil and the 92-93 f22 have external coil.

krishev
08-12-2006, 02:21 AM
Keep your f22 wiring harness because it will work fine. The only thing that you are really gonna need to work through, is the internal distributor coil line. Your old f22 has a external coil and the f20 has a internal, so you have to drill through the cap and feed a line. The wiring from a f22 to a f20a is really not that hard. If you actually decide to do the swap let me know and I will open my distributor and show you. I believe that someone asked something about upgrading the f22a, if you are low on money and willing to do the work you can put that h22 head on any f series engine. I just dropped a h22 head on my buddies f20a dohc and I saw posts of a guy who did it with a f23a sohc vtec with a h22 head. Actually when you use a f block and put a h head on it they call it a g engine, so if you put a h22 head on a f23 block they would call it g23
(f,g,h,) get the picture (cute huh). Anyways, I did some research when I was looking at the internals of a f20b and started asking questions if I could do anything with a h22 head like the h23 with a h22 head, because my head was dohc. After talking to the right tech, I found out that all f series and h series are interchangeable. So for all you people with small pockets and alot of time you might want to hit ebay for that h22 head Take a look at this link and you will laugh your ass off.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1069869

Hi, how exactly do i go about this distributor wiring??

Velocifero
08-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Hi, how exactly do i go about this distributor wiring??
whoa, this is way old; that dude isnt even on the forum anymore.