PDA

View Full Version : tranny problems

slmd honda02
06-13-2005, 12:05 PM
I've been having problems with my transmission lately. For some reason, it will get stuck in 3rd gear. It only happens every once in awhile and lasts for a couple of days. I am wondering if it is a simple electrical problem, such as a sensor, or something more complicated. Any advice?

Asiandude03
06-13-2005, 11:27 PM
its the auto tranny computer that is messing up. I had it happend to me on my 91 accord. The best thing to do when that happends is. Right when you start up you car. Don't shove it right away in gear. Also if it already has happend. turn off your car and wait ten min. so the computer can rest. How many miles do you have on your car.

slmd honda02
06-14-2005, 05:28 AM
The car only has 83000 miles on it. I've never had any problems with the engine until recently. Like you said, when I start it up I wait a little while for the car to run at a lower idle. Somtimes this has helped with the tranny problem and it runs fine. Lately I've had no luck. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem if its the tranny computer, or is it something that works itself out. I've talked to a couple of people and was told it might be the speed sensor. I am not sure though.

Asiandude03
06-15-2005, 10:41 PM
Oh yea! I forgot about that. That is also one of the reason that causes the problem. But has your tach been going crazy? If not your speed senor has gone out. But If you change your speed senor it might solve the problem. The reason is because your tranny ECU uses the speed senor so it knows when to shift or down shift. I remember when I change my speed senor it pretty much solve the problem. After you get it change don't shove it into gear too quick or it will do it again. umm speed senor should run I think $65-45 dollars. Its not too hard to install. Just it is a tight area to get into.

slmd honda02
06-16-2005, 09:02 AM
Yea, I think it runs about $40. That's what I was planning on trying first. If not, then i guess i'll need to get it looked at. Can you give me a general idea of where the speed sensor is or if there is anywhere online where i can find out?

Asiandude03
06-20-2005, 06:58 PM
Umm yea! I talk about this a long time ago to some other guy that had to change the speed senor. I have to find the post on it.

Asiandude03
06-20-2005, 07:02 PM
Here is a link to install the speed senor. If you run into any problems just come back and ask me. But it shouldn't be too hard.
http://www.cybertrails.com/~bestinthewest/autotips/999VSSTestLocation.html

Napa Auto parts carrys the speed senor also. You don't need to get it from honda. But here is the site I got my speed senor from. http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/home.htm

slmd honda02
06-21-2005, 06:30 AM
Thanks. I was looking for where the speed sensor was located this weekend and thought I had found it. The link you gave me tells me i'm right. Its not in a real tough spot, shouldn't be too bad. I just hope that helps with the problem.

slmd honda02
06-23-2005, 01:07 PM
I had diagnostics done on my car and found that it was the AT control unit. The Honda dealer wants $551, but i'm going to get it locally for $135. Screw the Honda dealer.

Asiandude03
06-29-2005, 01:07 AM
So the Tranny computer was going out. yeah honda dealership charge like crazy. But some people don't know any better and still get it done there.

halfros honda
08-19-2005, 09:57 AM
sounds like its the sensor or the solenoid, r u gettin the tranny fault code on ur dash blinking D4 or S? if so use a jumper wire on the harness on the passenger side floor below dash to get codes if u gimme codes i can tell u exactly what problem is