PDA

View Full Version : short throw?

92AccordDX
12-06-2003, 07:11 PM
what is the short throw that ACTUALLy worked for your 4th gen accord, by the way does a 5th DC rear strut bar fit?

TheFirstNutZo
12-08-2003, 11:36 AM
never used one. Did you buy one that DIDN"T WORK, or what was the tone of that message?

92AccordDX
12-08-2003, 10:26 PM
well, ive seen throws for 30 bucks and ive seen them for 200 bucks. but i still have yet to see one on a 4th gen accord. so im skeptical about buying one

TheFirstNutZo
12-09-2003, 09:56 AM
then I don't know. I am pretty sure I've heard of it being done, but I think people just do it themselves.

ACCLUDE
01-01-2004, 12:27 AM
To make it a little easier,

The $30-50 shift kit usually supplies you with brackets that you apply to the stock shift lever and shift cables. The just shorten the distance needed the shift cables need to travel. They work, but they're not as smooth as they could be.

The $200 kit usually gives you a brand new shift lever that has been re-shaped to shorten the length of throw and shorten the actual shaft length too. They usually have nice bushings and other goodies included so they definitely work and also seem to shift the smoothest.

The home-made short-shift is basically just hacking off an inch or two from the top ot the shaft. The lower the knob is, the less distance it has to travel so it kinda gives the apearance of a short-shift, without actually making a major difference.

There are other differences, but that's pretty much it.

midnite racer x
01-06-2004, 05:36 PM
i've got the neuspeed short shifter and it does shorten the throw but i noticed i can shift just as fast with it installed or not. So basically i believe its how fast u can engage and disengage that clutch of urs without grinding gears. The short shifter did however get rid of that "stuck in between gears" thing that happens to me between 1st and 2nd gear. Other than that its just a comfort feature that assures me that the shifter is in the right gear while i'm letting go of the clutch. I think if u can get solidly chirp 2nd gear without revving too high then u don't need it.