PDA

View Full Version : '90 Accord Gear Problems

impman
02-21-2005, 03:46 AM
Hey, I have a 1990 Accord DX MT. Every once in a while, while I'm stopped and i try putting it into 1st there is resistence, if i force it, it will go into gear. The only thing that seem to help is to try and roll forward a couple of inches, it helps but not a lot. There is also a squeeking sound occasionally while in 1st and turning.

My question is, is the problem the clutch or the transmission or something else, the car has 150,000 miles on it don't know how old/new the clutch is. I don't know that much about cars, so please keep answers simple.

Thank you,

Impman

acc90rd
02-21-2005, 02:26 PM
not the clutch. Possibly the syncro, but that is kinda normal. Mine used to do that too. At a stop light I'd put it into nuetral, then when the light turns green put it in first, it wouldn't go, so you take it out wobble through nuetral back and forth, then try it again and it should work fine.

impman
02-21-2005, 02:53 PM
Thankyou, is there anyway to get it fixed or is it just not worth it.

Asiandude03
02-21-2005, 10:22 PM
No that is normal that you can't shove it into first when you are moving really fast and then you come to a stop. When you do that try to shove it back half way into second gear and then shove it forward into first gear it should then be really easy. The reason you are having this problem is because your shifter lever down in the column has to move all the way over but gets caught on the other levers coming across to first gear. But this happens on all manual cars. not just yours. You have nothing to worry about. Nothing is wrong with your car.

acc90rd
02-22-2005, 11:49 AM
ifit happens on all manual cars then it is kinda normal then, isn't it? Same thing happens on my dads truck, and on my car, so i think it would be kinda normal... And no one is going forward really fast and trying to put it in first.

impman
02-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Thanks both of you next time it happens i'll try putting it half way into second then first thank you.

Asiandude03
02-25-2005, 09:48 AM
You can only do it while only going around 35 and under. If you are going to fast there is no way in hell you are going to be able to drop it down into first. Also I wouldn't suggest putting it in first while moving. I would wait until I am at a dead stop so you don't wear out your tranny faster.

acc90rd
02-28-2005, 01:28 PM
eh, I put it in first when I'm under 10 mph, cause thats around where my 2nd gear ends. And yeah, if you put it in first when over 30-35 mph, your car will start to buck, I did it a couple of times by accident, but it wasn't my fault.

impman
03-01-2005, 01:33 AM
I'm not talking about while driving while waiting at a light or when the light turns green. not while im moving.