PDA

View Full Version : salt...and other forms of corrosion

92accord
12-05-2003, 12:11 PM
hey whats up...im currently rebuilding the h22 and there is quite a bit of corrosion on the front of it...anyone know anything good to take it off without damaging the block?

jdmaccordbo!916
12-05-2003, 02:58 PM
has the rust started to eat all the way thrue, (such as if it was to be taken off, would it be pitted)... or is it just the basic surface rust... cause there is a product out there that you can use if you can get ahold of it, an it will clean up just aobut any crom or aluminume part in about 2 seconds, but it has to be sprayed off just about as quick as you spray it on... it is an acid i cant remember the exact name, but ill go to my old job an see if they have any, an ill get the name off of it for you... i know that it is strong enough too have to be mixed 3 parts water an 1 part acid. an still be able to burn you if you arnt carefull... you might be able to find it at an auto detail shop or some place like that, also you can go to a local dealership that has a detail shop an see if they use anything like that as well... or try an get ahold of there supplier an see if they have anything...

92accord
12-05-2003, 04:46 PM
its not rust...its salt corrosion and its just on the surface...the reason i wanna get it off is because it doesnt look pretty :P

TheFirstNutZo
12-05-2003, 07:47 PM
yeah I have that all over my engine bay as well. you could try using "Brasso" or similar substance... I think you are going to need some form of acid to get it to come off any good. Whatever you try, let me know if it works cuz I'm goign to do that too.

jdmaccordbo!916
12-06-2003, 03:31 AM
i tried to get ahold of the guys i used to work with today, but none of them were there.. so ill try an get ahol of them after this weekend for you an see what they use... ill post it up when i find out for shur... but that salty corrosion shit might come off with simple green.. give that a shot...

TheFirstNutZo
12-06-2003, 11:17 AM
Sounds good! Let us know how it turns out I really want to clean my engine bay but finals are here and I just don't have time to experiment right now :(

92accord
12-09-2003, 01:12 PM
simple green eh? hmmm...anyways, ya finals are a bitch i havent been able to do anything...and ive only taken off the valve cover...