PDA

View Full Version : white face gauges

halfros honda
03-03-2004, 04:16 PM
i bought some otto white face gauges and a carbon fiber trim ring off of ebay the other week and put em on last weekend, n i just gotta say they make my accord look sweet, looks like a newer car i can't believe. 1st of all i gotta awesome deal on the gauges for $12 unbelievable! never installed, they work, n they light up in 6 colors or sumthin, i also bought a carbon fiber trim ring for $18 that set it off perfectly, the only pain in the ass was takin apart pretty much the whole dash board, and installation which was easy but was just time consuming it took roughly 2hrs which includes takin breaks, but it was definitely worth it!!! has anyone else done this? what do u think of it?

Accordrift
03-04-2004, 12:45 AM
Hey whats up halfros?! So you actually think those gauges are worth it? I've been thinking about getting one myself but im not too sure how to instal it. Was it very hard to remove everything on the dash?

halfros honda
03-07-2004, 03:51 PM
Yeh man they were definitely worth it, totally looks like a newer car. hell for the price i paid for it, i couldn't go wrong. It really wasn't that difficult to remove everything it just took awhile. I have a Haynes repair manual which showed me where all the screws were and what steps to take to remove everything. All i needed was a phillips head screwdriver, flathead screwdriver, ratchet to put a phillips head into to help with tight angles, I'll give u the basics steps for removal remove the center console, ashtray, radio, coin holder on driver side, drvr n center vents, cruise control/sunroof switch, dimmer switch, hazard, rear defrost, and accessory switch, then remove 12(?) screws around the dash trim in each hole from vents nd switches are screws, once all removed gently pull trim towards u n lift up above steering column (tricky part), next remove (3)harnesses goin into instrument clusters, then pull and wiggle the cluster out angle it to get around steering wheel (again tricky part). Once cluster is out unsnap plastic tabs to access gauges. remove the screws on old gauges on speedometer n rpm gauges with an eyeglass screwdriver, now simply slide new gauges over the needles replace screws, then put everything back 2gether. Important if u decide to get a new trim ring like i did do this NOW it's too much of a pain to go through this again. Next comes wiring i used the tracer wire that goes to the dimmer switch (red wire with black stripe) and the ground wire (black). make those connections then put the dash back 2gether. If you have any questions or need help let me know. If u want pics i take some with the digital camera n i guess post em or email em. sorry this is so long but i tried to b brief n detailed at the same time. Good luck!

Accordrift
03-09-2004, 12:53 PM
It doesnt sound too complex.... lol (I Hope), anyways i think i might get the gauges soon, once I do ill either get the Haynes repair manual, or come to you for help =) I'm acctually exited now.

halfros honda
03-09-2004, 06:09 PM
Sweet man go 4 it! i'll take pics sometime this week n try to post em, no prob just hit me up 4 help if u need it

TTiger00
04-01-2004, 12:27 AM
i was woundering where you bought your book and the amount of money it cost.[FONT=Arial Black]

halfros honda
04-01-2004, 09:53 AM
i was woundering where you bought your book and the amount of money it cost.[FONT=Arial Black]

i think i got mine from Auto Zone, but they sell em at Pep Boys, Advance Auto Parts, etc. pretty much any local auto store and it costed about $16

TTiger00
04-13-2004, 11:34 PM
OK, i bought the gauges and was able to get out the gauge cluster, i just dont know where to hook up the two wires that come with it. Can you please post screen shot on how your car looks with it completely hooked up to the gauge cluster. Thank You.

halfros honda
04-14-2004, 07:10 AM
i'll do my best 2 post pics by the end of the week but my files are always too big even when i try makin em smaller n i just get frustrated. i hooked the wires up to the dash dimmer switch wires the of course the black to the ground and the hot (+) to i can't remember which wire off the switch because there's two the first one i hooked it up 2 was wrong b/c it didn't let the console light up properly but the other wire let's everything work perfectly

TTiger00
04-15-2004, 11:14 AM
thanks a lot, photos would help a lot, also do you have to installed the lights or do teh guages themself now light up? Any Pics that u can post will be vey helpful.

halfros honda
04-15-2004, 11:36 AM
if they're the glow gauges the back of the gauges (i.e. the white part) will light up u don't have 2 do anything else to the rest of lights in the instrument cluster, the original lights in the cluster still iluminate n help u see ur mileage my gauges i have set on blue color so the white part on the gauges r blue n light up pretty much the whole cluster, the original lighting helps accent it n i don't recommend messin with the original lighting in the cluster b/c u wont b able 2 see sum stuff correctly, i'll work on the pics between 2nite or sat, i gotta go to the gym after work 2day, baseball practice 2morrow, so somewhere in between i'll work on that as long as i'm not too tired aiiight man take it easy, if u need any more lemme know

jut409
04-17-2004, 11:52 AM
i have a 95 accord and im tryin to install the same type of gauges though my dimmer switch. I was just wondering which wires you spliced together?

halfros honda
04-17-2004, 06:43 PM
i dunno if there's a difference between the 4th n 5th generation accord with the dimmer switch hookup the black is obviously the ground that's the easy part on the dimmer switch is 2 other wires one is a constant 12v (+) the otha is the part that controls the dimming i believe it needs to go to the constant 12v(+) i can't remember it's one or the other i just know the 1st time i hooked it up it wasn't right b/c the interior accent lights didn't work so i switched to the otha wire that was there n everything worked.

bshshondaman06
12-13-2004, 05:54 PM
my gauges took about an hour to get on. i had the same diagrams and instructions that the honda techs have to get the cluster out....my dad works at the dealership... it rocks anyway i wired them into the light for the cigerette lighter. its always on when the parking lights on.. they look really friggin good. the pic that i have included looks bad becasue i was using a crappy camera... you can almost read the milage(218,000) now 225,000. anyway. its not that hard. they are worth it if you like to take things apart. other wise no because it is a pain. mine were like 25 dollars but i didnt get any other trim peices. a problem that i have is that i have to dim the factory guage lighting... its brighter then the guages that i put on lighting. you can also do a mod while its all apart. the reason why the guages stock look green is becuase the light from the cluster is tinted... take that tint of and its just white. so you could brighten up the guages with white light or dim it and see the guages full. the problem with dimming is it dims the clock.. oh well leave it in the middle u see botht he clock and the aftermarket guages.

bshshondaman06
12-13-2004, 05:55 PM
one problem the guages read to 140.. theya re off a few mph when it says im doing 45 im acutally doing 41 so i compensate lol

halfros honda
12-14-2004, 11:42 AM
i dunno y they read 140mph i haven't seen any 90-93 accords wit 140mph on the stock gauges. i ordered sum for my dad n they sent me the 140mph ones so i sent em back n they sent me the correct ones, i've noticed they're a lil more expensive like $10 more for the 130mph gauges, but i dunno i'm anal n like the sh*t to be accurate. the ones for my car were like $15 n were 130mph i got lucky, lol.

bshshondaman06
12-14-2004, 06:38 PM
do you have pictures? i think you have the otherones i was looking at but they dont have or didnt

halfros honda
12-15-2004, 02:23 PM
i'll try to get em up 4 u, they light up in like 6 or 7 colors, n the #s are black in day time the face is white

accord_racer90
03-29-2005, 08:47 PM
yo when you put them in make shure you un hook your battry the whole time cuz if u disconect your odomoter and reconect it a start will show up on your dash that you tamperd with the odomoter and it will b hard to sell the car

accord_racer90
03-29-2005, 08:48 PM
i mean a star

halfros honda
03-30-2005, 07:16 PM
i didn't see a star where should it b?

BostonAndy
09-21-2005, 06:37 AM
I am trying to put the white face gauges in. From what I have read, taping into the dimmer switch seems to be the way to go.
Where exactly is this wire located, is it a red/black wire clustered with the 3 plugs that plug into the cluster?
Does anyone have pictures of the wiring?

ghostmill
10-22-2005, 12:58 PM
Im getting some now, hahah very pimp...i hope mine come out niice