PDA

View Full Version : Newb racing question

Fibris
04-22-2007, 06:02 PM
This question will probably sound really dumb...but I'm very new to driving. (I just got my license). I know that since an Accord is and FF it understeers. I also know that if you use left-foot braking it counters the understeer. I started using lfb and my driving got smoother and I can attack corners faster now, but i still don't understand how it all works. I think that if i figured out the physics behind it I would be able to go faster. Could someone please explain the whole lfb thing...?

BostonAndy
04-23-2007, 10:17 AM
LFB - Stop doing it today!

Seriously, if you just got your license, you have so much to learn before you are ready to be doing shit like this. You are going to end up killing yourself, or worse someone else.

You need to get atleast a year or two of driving under your belt before you push the limits.

You also need to learn exactly where the limits are, and how they should be approached. This is not something a recently licensed driver is at all qualified to do.

If you want to learn to push the limits, get some experience first so that you will respect what the car is capable of and know what it is not capable of. Next you start to learn how to push the limits. You can do this by going to a high performance driving school and/or reading publications on driving.

I really enjoy pushing the limits of my car, but I only do so when the road is open and no one else is around. I would love to go to the Mid Ohio School's Honda/Acura Performance Driving Course, but that is about $5k so it is out of my price range. Since I can not afford to go to one of these schools, I read as many books and magazines as I can about the proven techniques of high performance driving. Again, I only practice these techniques on an open road, after I have throughly studied them.

Let's compare this situation to a gun. If you just got your firearm license, you would not be trying to shoot an apple off of your buddy's head with a sawed off shot gun. You would not even think of trying something like that. You would on the other hand be spending a lot of time reading about firearms and going to the shooting range (Learning and practicing, building your skills).

Stop Left Foot Braking. If you want to reduce the understeer, buy a $20 strut tower bar from e-bay. That will requced understeer, not kill your brakes, or yourself.

Quicksilvercord
04-23-2007, 11:17 AM
^ Agreed.....

Fibris
04-23-2007, 01:10 PM
I guess is should have prefaced my message with the fact that I deliver pizzas late at night, and that's when I aggressively drive. Also, by just got my license i meant that I've had it for about 9 months. And my parents let me drive alone with my permit 6 months before that. I know the risks of driving like I do, but I think that I also know my car well after driving it for almost 4 hours a night. I appreciate your concern for my safety, but I really just wanted to know how to turn faster...

Velocifero
04-23-2007, 03:39 PM
I guess is should have prefaced my message with the fact that I deliver pizzas late at night, and that's when I aggressively drive. Also, by just got my license i meant that I've had it for about 9 months. And my parents let me drive alone with my permit 6 months before that. I know the risks of driving like I do, but I think that I also know my car well after driving it for almost 4 hours a night. I appreciate your concern for my safety, but I really just wanted to know how to turn faster...
lower the car with a stiffer suspension, strut bars as mentioned, and anti-sway bars. sway bars will help a great deal. you shouldnt drive aggressively at all since you first got your license. almost everyone i know including myself has gotten into an accident within their first year of driving. this statistic is pretty much a fact.

mod42
04-23-2007, 03:42 PM
not only is he addressing your safety but the safety of everyone else on the road....even late at night. Night is possibly the worst time to be practicing in the first place since you havent developed peripheral vision yet and its hard enough to see things on the side of the road during the day in the first place. i agree, if you want to turn harder, get a strut bar to stiffen up your suspension. But it doesnt matter how long you've been driving, you see people in there 30s and 40s get into accidents all the time. Just because your a good driver doesnt mean that there wont be a gravel patch on the road, or a mac truck around the corner.