PDA

View Full Version : OBD2B ECU question

mahBLACKaccord
09-15-2006, 01:37 AM
okay, my ECU is OBD-II-B (not OBD-II)

it is not reprogammable. so you can't tune it.
i would have to convert to OBD-I.

if i build my engine say, for example, NA...
and i used all the bolt-ons, higher comp. pistons, cam, port and polish...just basically complete head and block work...i know i will be able to tune it.

my question is. i NEED obd2B to pass smog becuz my car came with that from the factory.

so my question IS...
if i put the obd2b ecu back on my engine...along with all the work that has been done to it...will i still be able to pass smog or will it keep me from passing?

the only people i know who have obd2b is anyone with cars from 98 and up...

the AEM EMS is way too expensive and it seems it's only for manual transmissions

the JET chip is another company that offers tuning.

any feedback would be appreciated.

mahBLACKaccord
09-15-2006, 10:07 AM
c'mon people? can you help me out?

Quicksilvercord
09-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Why cant you just use an OBD-1 conversion harness?

AccordEx
09-15-2006, 01:10 PM
yea convert to OBD1, end of headaches.

birdman
09-15-2006, 03:05 PM
Why cant you just use an OBD-1 conversion harness?

Those conversion harnesses are expensive for automatics-like over $200. If you're doing JET, no need convert to OBD1. The "self-re-tune" that the stock one does is history after the fuel/timing maps are callibrated. If you're going turbo then yeah. Hey Adrian, I thought you were getting 16" rims first.???

97 2 door accord
09-15-2006, 06:01 PM
did you call jet yet like i suggested? if so what did they say, im dying to know man,

BIGBOTO
09-15-2006, 08:06 PM
did you call jet yet like i suggested? if so what did they say, im dying to know man,

me too buddy!

mahBLACKaccord
09-15-2006, 10:41 PM
OH MY GAWSH!

you guys are MISSING the POINT.

i'm not saying i'm gonna do this before the rims, or what i'm going to mod next. i'm just trying to get information on this.
i know all about the aem ems, jet chips, ecu conversions, etc...

you guys MISSED my question. haha

okay...lets say i convert to OBD-1 in order to tune my engine.

okay, now after the obd1 conversion...in CALIFORNIA i NEED to have the OBD-2B ECU in the car to PASS SMOG. i can NOT pass smog with the obd1 ecu, so i would have to put the OBD2B ecu BACK on. you guys still with me?

my QUESTION is...

After all the engine building (internals, externals, etc...) done to my car. can i put the obd2b ecu back on and not fail smog?
will the porting, high comp. pistons, etc...affect my being able to pass smog?

thank you all for your time.
any links or info on this will be appreciated.

AccordEx
09-16-2006, 01:33 AM
as long as you dont fuck with catalytic converter and not have any warning lights on you should pass

97 2 door accord
09-16-2006, 02:10 AM
the obd 2 test i am familiar with is, they check to make sure your CEL works, and that its not on @ the time you go for testing, but they need to plug into your ecu, and yes you would need to pop your oem ecu back in, and take it to autozone if you have a CEL on and have them clear it, and take it to emissions before it comes back on, now DID YOU CALL JET PERFORMANCE CHIPS?

Quicksilvercord
09-16-2006, 09:32 AM
I agree with Muyo...yes it will work...as long as you dont fuck with the cat...and as long as your not throwing some weird random codes witch you shouldn't