PDA

View Full Version : oil change

BIGBOTO
06-12-2006, 08:53 PM
maintanence light just went on. well it's time for that oil change. this guy at work said to try that ROYAL PURPLE. seen them use it on wrecks to riches, and i think on overhaulin. was wondering if it's okay for our rides, since the cars that they put it on in the tv is on like hot rods and not imports. well gonna google this one. figured i ask might get an answer quicker than the net, who knows. really thinkin about using that synthetic formula though. jus wanted to throw this one out there. MAHALOS

AccordEx
06-12-2006, 09:03 PM
yea its one of the best synthetic motor oils out there

BIGBOTO
06-13-2006, 08:52 PM
so is it a go for ROYAL PURPLE?! if not jus gonna go and do the castrol syntec way.

birdman
06-13-2006, 11:17 PM
so is it a go for ROYAL PURPLE?! if not jus gonna go and do the castrol syntec way.

yah, bro, go for it. I wanted to try it, but let us know how it goes. My oil change is due this month.

BIGBOTO
06-14-2006, 01:28 AM
fuckin ROYAL PURPLE is like $7-8 a bottle. goodness gracious!! then gotta get the filter and maybe some other stuff. but i do love the accord, she deserves the best right?! gonna give it a try probably over the weekend.

mahBLACKaccord
06-14-2006, 01:41 AM
hey bro i heard once you go synthetic you can't go back...is this true?

Velocifero
06-14-2006, 07:24 AM
fuckin ROYAL PURPLE is like $7-8 a bottle. goodness gracious!! then gotta get the filter and maybe some other stuff. but i do love the accord, she deserves the best right?! gonna give it a try probably over the weekend.
fuck that. that shit better be giving you road head when your driving for that price. consider getting castrol syntech if you want synthetic. i was at a Honda dealership yesterday and a guy told me Honda motors werent made for synthetic oils, cuz its a "penetrating" oil. we were arguing cuz he said it makes the motor leak, then i told him my H22 which is supposed to be notorious for leaking oil, hasnt had an oil problem yet. so i dunno.

and BIGBOTO, i dunno if your getting a LSD tranny with your H22, but you might find this post jack interesting...

i was wondering what the best oil to use in an LSD manual tranny? ive been using synthetic motor oil 10x30 as per the requirements from Honda manuals. but i know LSDs require somethin special. the guy at Honda suggested GL-5 was the best oil for LSDs, which of course, the dealership sells. while i was at the dealership i picked up a limited slip additive i can just add to my tranny so i can avoid dumping my recently changed trans oil.

BIGBOTO
06-14-2006, 03:35 PM
yeah got the LSD too. frick the things we have to consider during a change, guess that's what tunings all about. think to save a couple bucks gonna go ahead with castrol.
velocifero- you used synthetic in your H22? just curious. gonna wait and do some research before the change.
i was on the crapper and reading a mag and came across a GReddy add for their oils, and i think its the GReddy #3 which is specially designed for vtec motors, it has a special blue color to it. checked out the dealers round here and couldn't find anyone selling them. probably gotta search on line for people sellin them.

Broliman
06-14-2006, 05:04 PM
i ran royal purple in my old f series 1 time and i burned a quart and a half in like a month of good drivin. mobil 1 supersyn all the way naver let me down

Broliman
06-14-2006, 05:07 PM
fuck that. that shit better be giving you road head when your driving for that price. consider getting castrol syntech if you want synthetic. i was at a Honda dealership yesterday and a guy told me Honda motors werent made for synthetic oils, cuz its a "penetrating" oil. we were arguing cuz he said it makes the motor leak, then i told him my H22 which is supposed to be notorious for leaking oil, hasnt had an oil problem yet. so i dunno.

and BIGBOTO, i dunno if your getting a LSD tranny with your H22, but you might find this post jack interesting...

i was wondering what the best oil to use in an LSD manual tranny? ive been using synthetic motor oil 10x30 as per the requirements from Honda manuals. but i know LSDs require somethin special. the guy at Honda suggested GL-5 was the best oil for LSDs, which of course, the dealership sells. while i was at the dealership i picked up a limited slip additive i can just add to my tranny so i can avoid dumping my recently changed trans oil.

as for the tranny fluid i use redline mt90 in my lsd.

birdman
06-14-2006, 05:18 PM
getting my oil change down at the shop today while fixing the a/c. I decided on the Redline synthetic oil. I'll let you know how it goes.

Broliman
06-14-2006, 05:39 PM
getting my oil change down at the shop today while fixing the a/c. I decided on the Redline synthetic oil. I'll let you know how it goes.
good choice

birdman
06-15-2006, 11:37 AM
good choice

Damn, it cost me $13/bottle. I dunno if its just me, but I feel a difference w/ the Redline especially in performance. It feels a lot faster now for some reason. The shop owner was saying that the brand is practically like Royal Purple but a little better and dyno proven hp gains. I wouldn't be surprised if I gained a few ponies.

mahBLACKaccord
06-15-2006, 11:39 AM
Damn, it cost me $13/bottle. I dunno if its just me, but I feel a difference w/ the Redline especially in performance. It feels a lot faster now for some reason. The shop owner was saying that the brand is practically like Royal Purple but a little better and dyno proven hp gains. I wouldn't be surprised if I gained a few ponies.

13 a bottle? that's a lot. that like three times as much as regular oil!

birdman
06-15-2006, 11:48 AM
13 a bottle? that's a lot. that like three times as much as regular oil!

yah, I know. haha. I was shocked as well, but I definitely fell a difference w/ the Redline. It was either that or Mobil 1 synthetic which was $11/bottle.

BIGBOTO
06-15-2006, 02:12 PM
where did you do it at? you said the shop did it right? that would be cool with me, because the place i live in all ways wanna slap me with a notice/warning/and even a fine for working on my car. $13 a bottle? that shit better give you ponies

birdman
06-15-2006, 03:39 PM
where did you do it at? you said the shop did it right? that would be cool with me, because the place i live in all ways wanna slap me with a notice/warning/and even a fine for working on my car. $13 a bottle? that shit better give you ponies

I did it at Autoair & accessories by Pacific automotive in town. I had to have gained. Its like a different car, again, like after the jet ecu chip. Definitely feel better performance & acceleration, better torque going up hills and stuff as well. Yah, Its expensive but I was dying to try it out. lol. I was kinda pissed w/ iceblue guy and wanted to treat my car to a present for being so much better than Mazdas. haha. I usually use Mobil 1 or Castrol.

mahBLACKaccord
06-15-2006, 06:36 PM
bird, have you and boto met yet? are you guys on tha same island? juss curious. haha

BIGBOTO
06-15-2006, 08:16 PM
bird, have you and boto met yet? are you guys on tha same island? juss curious. haha
not quit yet, i think we live on the same island...maybe one day soon! gotte hold out on the change til tomorrow. but bird if you feelin cocky theres supposed to be like some sort of illegal activities on the north shore this weekend. i heard some people are meeting up since the tracks have been closed. we'll this might be the placve to make or break your wallet. thinkin about bring the car and the cooler to go check it out, if oilchange is done and i feel up to it, depending on the competition, who knows....???

AccordEx
06-16-2006, 03:55 AM
speakin of oil changes and what not, i changed mine in some random park today and lots of people got mad at me. screw nature and screw them hippies.

ahaahahahahahaah

mahBLACKaccord
06-16-2006, 09:46 AM
speakin of oil changes and what not, i changed mine in some random park today and lots of people got mad at me. screw nature and screw them hippies.

that's the whole point of nature. to be free in it and change your oil if you want to.

5thGenLX
07-26-2006, 03:46 AM
mobil1, castrol, good oil, dont buy penzoil. synthetic is synthetic, it'll run as long as you want it too, just keep changing your filter.

i run mobil1 fullsynth and haven't lost a drop in months.

yes you can go back to non synth afterwards, there honestly wont be a problem with our little f22's, nay sayers are just arguing semantics on a problem our minimally modified engines wont encounter.

5w30, go.

btw royal purple is great, used it one change and i didnt burn through any of it but yes, it is more expensive by about 2 bucks a quart. mobil 1 full synth ran me 5.50 a quart, RP was around 7.