PDA

View Full Version : 91se accord cluster goes crazy

91seaccordor34
02-20-2004, 10:37 PM
i just got my 1991 honda accod se,
when my check engine light come on things stop working
in my car. my speed ometer drops to 0 ,and some times the sport light comes on for the tranny, when i turn it off for a while it all starts to work again. can some one tell me if this has ever happend to them and if so i can fix it.... thanx

Asiandude03
02-26-2004, 12:11 AM
Your speed Senor went out. I had the same problem on my 91 EX accord. It happens only on the 90-93 Accords. The Speed senor is like around $70. It isn't that hard to change your self. Your speedometer drops to zero or it will starts to jump all over the place. and then your check engine light will start blinking or stay on. But everything else should be find. Like the RPM gauge and your fuel and engine heat gauge should be normal. Is that all the problems you are having?

Accordrift
03-15-2004, 11:09 PM
Hey my car isnt the only one with this problem! Ha i feel alot better now. Yeah i took my car into the mechanic and they told me the speed sensor which is in the transmission is bad, and thats why my speedometer doesnt work ,my check engine light is on, and my "S" light blinks.. (it costs me $70 to find out, when i could have got that info for free here!!! >.< damn it) Anyways, do you know how to change it? and where i could possibly buy the sensor? They wanted to charge me $300 to replace it but thank god i read your post before i said yes. Anyways if you know how to change it and where to buy it i would be most thankful!

Asiandude03
03-17-2004, 01:39 AM
Yea I know how to change it. It is a senor right under your throttle body and air intake pipe. It sits above your tranny. You should see some wires sticking out of it. Oh yeah for got to ask is your car auto or manual. It makes a difference.

Accordrift
03-17-2004, 10:01 PM
My car is an Auto. =p

Asiandude03
03-18-2004, 01:15 AM
Alright then it is the same as mine. You can buy the speed senor at NAPA auto parts for sure or you can try pep boys but I really doubt they will carry something like that. But if you really have to try to get the speed senor from this site before you go to the honda dealer ship. This site sells Honda OEM car parts cheaper. http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/home.htm

Call up Honda Dealership before you go to the site if you don't know what part number it is. I can't remember it off the top of my head. But Beside that I will try and copy the direction how to change the speed sensor to you.

Accordrift
03-18-2004, 01:03 PM
Thanx a billion Asiandude03!!! I'll find that sensor. Shouldnt be more than $70 right? Let me know when you find the directions on how to change it. 91seaccordor34 are you going to change your sensor too? or have you done so already?

Asiandude03
03-22-2004, 12:25 AM
Sorry I can find my directions. I just had it I am still trying to find it. But if I can't find it in time. Just go to the honda dealer ship and ask for a diagram. I know they will give it to you. Because that is what I ask for when I changed it.

Accordrift
03-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Hey Asiandude03! Dont worry about it, i think i found an awesome link with the directions. here it is: http://www.cybertrails.com/~bestinthewest/autotips/999VSSTestLocation.html I havent got the sensor yet but i am planning to very soon. Is that link very accurate?

Asiandude03
03-23-2004, 01:22 AM
yea I would say that site is pretty accurate. Good luck on fixing your speed senor. Oh yea you better do it soon, because you are messing up your odometer readings.