PDA

View Full Version : i don't get it..

fukn_fast_EX
03-03-2005, 01:36 AM
i know this would be a stupid question to some of u guyz..but i just don't get it...what's a collector..??..and what does it do..all i know it deals with the exhaust piping..and what's a test pipe..??..and what does that do..??..i really don't get it..cause im planing to custom make my exhaust piping to a 2.25 straight pipe...no catalytic..is that also a good thing to do with a stock headers..or is it better with headers..sorrie..just new to this car thing...

Broliman
03-03-2005, 01:05 PM
the collector is the section of pipe that the header filters into, a test pipe is just a hallow piece of pipe put in place for the cat, its not street legal. if u have a stock exhaust manifold and you put on a test pipe or you remove your cat totally you will burn up your exhaust manifold, you need to invest in a ceramic coated header its worth it. i have a 2.25 magnaflowcat-back, hi flow cat, and dc on my 92 and it made a HUGE difference in performance, dont ghetto rig it, it will sound like crap and perform the same, you want back pressure in a naturally asperated honda, if you get too big exhaust you will lose hp

fukn_fast_EX
03-04-2005, 07:37 AM
back pressure?that's the one that deals with the cat rite?so is 2.25 a good size for and exhaust with headers?how does the back pressure actually works..sorrie for these kind of questions,thanks alot though,i appreciate it..

Broliman
03-04-2005, 08:08 AM
Any non turbo motor needs a certain amount of backpressure. The pressure causes a vacuum effect that allows for quicker release of exhaust gases.

acc90rd
03-13-2005, 02:26 PM
actually ANY motor needs back pressure. Whether nitrous, turbo, or NA. TUrbos need it to build boost up again quick, NA needs it to flow better, and nitrous pretty much falls under NA. A collector is where multipple pipes come together and the combine, so if you have a good collector, where the pipes combine the flow is good. And 2.25" is fine for your car. 2" is fine too, I wouldn't go 2.5" unless your a high horsepower car, or lower then 2".

fukn_fast_EX
03-14-2005, 12:31 AM
ohh okae...so then..with a poped cat or headers with out a cat then that's bad,there's no back pressure,so then with headers and cat that's not pop is good cause it has back pressure and makes your car go faster?

acc90rd
03-16-2005, 09:36 PM
no. backpressure is a debatable topic. People say you need and others say you don't. I SAY that if you are turbo'd it is good to have a little backpressure.

Actually, I began to read your post again, what do you want? A header and test pipe? a collector will mostly be the same on the headers. And if you don't run a cat, your car may sound like shit. Backpressure is not a big deal, it's not like you go from an exhaust that has headers back to an exhaust that has a cat and restricitve, and then you say the other set up was so much faster. Unless your breaking or planning on breaking 200whp+, I wouldn't worry about any of this.